This Standard involves approaching distributors and sales agents at the earliest opportunity to assess the business viability of projects.
It is about understanding the distribution process and being able to work collaboratively with those who will be selling projects.
It is important to know what distributors and sales agents do and the differences in selling a product to a market and to an audience.
The more prepared you are in production, the more able the distributor and sales agents will be able to act on your behalf once post production is completed.
It is about understanding that marketing the production is part of the concept generation and not outside the stages of filmmaking.
You will need to be aware of when you have approval rights and when you will have consultation rights. This work goes through distribution to delivery of the final production.
This Standard is for those working with distributors and sales agents for productions.
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and
1. how to identify the story, content and potential audience
2. how content can potentially create return on investment
3. how to research exhibition data to ascertain potential viability of projects
4. how to consider short and long term business implications
5. the role of marketing at at stages of production including concept generation
6. how to ensure all contractual deliverables are met
7. how to ensure best possible promotion for productions
8. what distributors and sales agents do
9. the differences in selling products to a market and an audience
10. how to work with distributors to approve marketing campaigns
11. when you will have approval rights and when you will have consultation rights.
12. how publicity works and what it can and cannot achieve
13. how trailers work and how they should be structured for maximum effect
14. how to create assets including behind the scenes and electronic press kits for distribution company use
15. how to contract cast and crew to accommodate distributors’ promotional requests
16. how sales agents work and how to identify which markets will be best for productions to attend
Screen Skills (formerly Creative Skillset)
Arts, Media and Publishing, Production Managers, Production Coordinator
Televsion, Film, Distributors, Agents