Self-publish games and interactive media content
This standard is about self-publishing games or interactive media content. It involves selecting publishing platforms or hosting solutions that will reach target users, ensure full functionality, and meet business models. It includes testing operation prior to publishing, arranging for advertising and for the collection and analysis of data after publication.
This standard can apply to games or interactive media. Interactive media can involve any type of interactive media content, products or including, but not restricted to websites, applications, or online marketing campaigns.
Games and interactive media projects can be for multi-platform or multi-channel use and can also involve the use of immersive technology which can include, but is not restricted to, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR).
This standard is for those who self-publish games or interactive media content rather than those running publishing companies or platforms.
You must be able to:
- identify and resolve any errors with content prior to publishing
- select publishing platforms or hosting solutions which maximise distribution to target users
- select publishing platforms or hosting solutions which enable anticipated display, performance and functionality
- ensure that publishing activity is in line with anticipated business model and can achieve expected income streams
- ensure that publishing solutions can collect and supply relevant data about take up, use and issues on an ongoing basis
- test operation on all relevant browsers and platforms to identify and resolve display, performance and functionality issues
- arrange with others, or put in place, advertising strategies to secure engagement of appropriate numbers of target users
- keep relevant people informed about publishing progress, issues and developments
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- aims, objectives and specifications about content including functionality, navigational features, display and performance requirements
- the benefits and disadvantages of different publishing platforms and hosting solutions including functionality, distribution and market reach
- business models, their benefits and disadvantages and when they are appropriate including upfront payment, subscription, in-app/game advertising and in-app/game purchases
- target users, platforms or hosting solutions that will reach them and advertising strategies that will attract them
- the benefits and disadvantages of multiplatform solutions
- who to keep informed about progress, issues and developments and when and how to contact them
- the data that needs to be collected to assess performance, take up, use and the effectiveness of platforms and business models