Direct asset production for games and interactive media projects
This standard is about overseeing the production of assets for use in games or interactive media projects. It includes planning asset creation, working with asset producers to ensure that assets are suitable for use for future stages of projects and setting up asset pipelines or version control systems.
This standard can apply to games or interactive media. Interactive media can involve any type of interactive media content, products or services including, but not restricted to, websites, applications, or online marketing campaigns.
Games and interactive media projects can be for multi-platform or multi-channel use and can also involve the use of immersive technology which can include, but is not restricted to, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR) and Mixed Reality (MR).
This standard is for anyone involved with directing asset production for games or interactive media projects.
You must be able to:
- specify and explain requirements to asset creators so that they understand the constraints they must work within
- plan asset production so that the specific requirements for the technologies being used are accounted for from the outset
- ensure that assets produced meet games/interactive media and other project requirements
- specify required changes in sufficient detail for asset developers to understand when assets will not work or are not suitable for use in games or interactive media products
- ensure assets and their source files are in formats that enable them to be easily used for later stages of projects
- provide clear documentation in appropriate formats to enable easy and efficient integration of assets by other people into games or interactive media projects
- communicate at appropriate times throughout asset creation with asset creators and others involved in products
- ensure that an appropriate asset pipeline or version control system is set up and understood by asset creators
- ensure that the work environment for asset creators meets health and safety requirements
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- project requirements, parameters and constraints including the way in which assets will be used in projects
- the capabilities, opportunities, limitations and constraints of available technologies and approaches including the applicability of real-time animation
- the difference between creating assets for traditional media to creating them for immersive technology and how factoring in the needs of immersive technology at the outset can minimise later problems
- differences required for the development of prototypes or end products
- relevant standards, conventions, guidelines and best practice including those relating to user comfort, quality of experience and the health and safety of creators
- the impact of diversity, inclusivity, accessibility, ethics, emotional intelligence and behavioural psychology on projects
- the level of understanding of the technology being used that is held by each asset creator you are working with and how to feedback to them in a diplomatic way
- target hardware and software platform(s), the asset file formats they can handle, and any other technical constraints they present
- current technologies, services, languages, tools and best practice that are relevant to development of outputs
- the requirements and expectations of others in the product pipeline and how to prepare assets so they are usable
- formats to which assets and their source files can be converted for different technologies and when they are appropriate
- approved documentation and annotations that may need to accompany assets and how to prepare it
- the effect of image resolution and colour depth, and of audio or video sampling rates and bit depth, on file size and data-transfer rates
- any naming conventions, standards, guidelines or specifications that you need to follow, and any version control systems or asset pipelines that you need to use
- health and safety requirements relating to the workplace for asset creation