Manage tree harvesting and extraction operations
This standard is about managing tree harvesting and extraction operations.
This standard requires knowledge of forecasting the production of forest and woodland products.
You will be required to plan the harvesting and to monitor it to ensure it meets the objectives of the plan.
Your work must conform to all relevant legislation and codes of practice when carrying out this work.
You must be able to:
- assess the risks associated with the site and the proposed work
- select and implement appropriate working methods, in accordance with the assessed risks
- ensure appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) is used for the work
- determine the work specification for tree harvesting and extraction, according to the site management objectives
- determine the monitoring requirements of the tree harvesting and extraction operations
- specify the resources required to meet the work specification
- mark stand for tree harvesting and extraction including the extraction system
- confirm that the tree harvesting and extraction complies with stated objectives, and undertake any corrective action if required
- manage and monitor the tree harvesting and extraction project against the objectives, in terms of timeframes, quality, cost, results achieved, the planned objectives and the standard achieved
- manage any deviations from the work specification
- ensure environmental damage is kept to a minimum
- ensure the work is carried out to maintain sustainability of the site and quality of the product
- maintain the health and safety of yourself and others at all times, in accordance with relevant legislation
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- how to identify hazards and assess risks
- how to interpret risk assessments
- the selection, use and care of personal protective equipment
- how to mark stand, extracting system and thinning requirements
- the principles of naturally regenerated woodland
- pest and diseases and how they can affect tree health
- the operational requirements of the specification and how to acquire the necessary resources to implement the plan to achieve management objectives
- how to manage and monitor projects to meet the objectives of the work specification and manage any deviations
- the potential impact of the work on the environment and how this can be minimised
- your responsibilities under relevant environmental, health and safety legislation and codes of practice
Stand - A stand is a contiguous community of trees that have a common set of characteristics.