Ensure compliance to support improvement in food and drink operations
This standard is about the skills and knowledge needed for you to ensure that your organisation's operations maintain compliance with legal, regulatory and other external requirements, to support your organisation's drive to improve food and drink operations. This is important in increasing productivity and success of manufacture, processing and supply within the food and drink supply chain. Ensuring compliance is essential to maintaining the reputation of the organisation, and can be potentially vulnerable when change and improvement processes are being implemented.
You will need to show and understand how you operate to the legal, regulatory and other requirements of your organisation. You will need to monitor and understand changes in requirements and develop policies and procedures to ensure your organisation maintains compliance. You will need to ensure that relevant people are aware of the requirements and their responsibilities in meeting compliance. You will also need to provide and receive feedback relating to compliance issues.
This standard applies to you if you are a director or manager who has responsibility for ensuring compliance during your organisation's change and improvement activity, in food and drink operations including manufacturing, processing, packing or supply chain activities.
You must be able to:
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- your improvement vision, strategy and objectives of your organisation
- how to consult with colleagues regarding compliance issues and how they impact on supporting improvement
- why an ethical and value-based approach to policies and procedures are important
- the legal requirements affecting organisational operations
- the legal, regulatory and ethical requirements of food and drink operations, both national and international
- how to follow procedures if you do not meet legal, regulatory and ethical requirements
- the current and emerging social concerns and the impact of expectations of other organisations
- the culture and values of your organisation and how they affect corporate governance
- the policies and procedures that ensure relevant people and processes comply with business requirements
- the processes for maintaining effective and sustainable policies and procedures
- how people fail to meet compliance requirements and the risk of this happening
- how to deal with people and processes that do not meet compliance requirements
- how to give and receive feedback about ensuring compliance to support improvement