Start up multi-stage operations in food and drink operations
This standard covers the skills needed for you to start up multi-stage operations in food and drink manufacture and the associated supply chain.
This is about the important activities of starting up multi-stage manufacturing operations in the production, processing and packaging of food and drink products. You must know how and be able to prepare for and start-up multistage operations. The ability to recognise potential improvements to start up procedures are essential. Complying with and understanding health and safety, food safety, environmental and organisational requirements are also essential features of this standard.
This standard is for you if you work in food and drink manufacture and/or supply operations and are involved in starting up multistage operations in food and drink operations.
You must be able to:
1. work in accordance with hygiene, health and safety and environmental procedures
5. check that all necessary plant, equipment, materials and services are available and fit for use
6. check instrumentation and take relevant action in response to any identified faults in accordance with organisational specifications
7. check that plant settings are compatible with optimum achievable performance
8. start up multi-stage operations in accordance with organisational procedures
9. evaluate faults for impact on operations
10. deal with faults within the limits of your own authority
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
1. to what the standards of health and safety and hygiene that you are required to work to are and why it is important that you do so
2. what the limits of your own authority and competence are and why it is important to work within them
3. what the lines and methods of effective communication are and why it is important to use them
4. what the documentation requirements are and why it is important to meet them
5. how to access and interpret the relevant plant, process, equipment, materials specifications
6. how the process works
7. what the main types of equipment malfunction are
8. how to apply effective problem solving and diagnostic techniques and why it is important to do so
9. what the correct procedures for start up are and why it is important to follow them
10. how faults can impact on operations