Develop and promote a food safety culture within food and drink operations
This standard is about the skills and knowledge required to implement action and policies which promote and maintain a positive approach to food safety across a food and drink manufacturing organisation. This will be achieved through developing activities which highlight the importance of food safety measures and ensuring that all staff members take responsibility for their actions.
You will need to be able to develop a clear vision as to the behaviours, policies and procedures that will be required within an organisation. You will also need to be able to lead the work of others to check that a food safety culture is promoted throughout the whole organisation.
This standard is for you if you work in food and drink operations or animal feed operations and you are responsible for leading and managing the food safety management plan and associated activities.
You must be able to:
Define priorities for food safety
agree values and assumptions that encourage food safety behaviour that is consistent with the organisation's food safety management plan
identify key positive food safety behaviours that staff should demonstrate
Exhibit positive food safety behaviour
check personal behaviour, actions and communication consistently reinforces a positive food safety culture in accordance with organisational requirements
promote food safety values in line with organisational requirements
communicate agreed values to people across the organisation
monitor the behaviour of junior staff in relation to food safety values in accordance with organisational requirements
Promote business policies which present a positive food safety culture
develop programmes of work and activities to support the management and reporting of food safety risks
check business policies and activities align with the aims and objectives of the food safety management plan
implement activities which check that all staff members understand the food safety culture
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- the concept of food safety 'culture' as applied to organisations
- different definitions applied to 'organisational culture'
- the importance of values in underpinning individual and organisational performance
- internal and external factors that influence organisational culture
- different types of organisational culture
- the relationship between organisational culture, strategy, performance and food safety management
- the principles and methods of establishing and managing culture change within organisations
- the legal, regulatory and ethical requirements that impact on the food safety culture
- the impact that a negative food safety culture can have on individuals and the performance of the organisation
- the indicators which may indicate that a negative food safety culture is in place
- the organisation's current vision and strategy and how this may impact on the development and promotion of a food safety culture