Monitor safety for site staff, the public, plant and vehicles
This Standard is about monitoring site safety for site staff, plant, site vehicles and members of the public– either as pedestrians or in vehicles. Sites could be on highways/roadways or development sites on private property. Network activity covers all related activity and could include mobile works.
This includes checking provision of signing, lighting and guarding developed from site surveys, monitoring site conditions, monitoring the positioning, installation and dismantling of signing, lighting and guarding equipment, making sure equipment is working and its positioning meets requirements and adjusting equipment to deal with prevailing traffic conditions.
This Standard is for anyone who monitors safety for site staff, the public, plant and vehicles for utility network operations.
You must be able to:
1. check that site surveys plan provision of footways, traffic lanes and safety zones in line with requirements of site location and organisational safe systems of work
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- proximity to schools and hospitals
- users of the route
- weather conditions
- volume and speed of traffic and evidence of congestion
- lighting on highways/roadways
- highway/roadway situations (including lane widths, private access, bus stops, parking places, roundabouts, junctions, railway level crossings, tramways, cycle lanes)
- emergency service access
- on site risks
- other contractors and workers that may have conflicting operations