ECIICESE06 Shape components by material removal using hand tools
This standard is about shaping components by material removal using hand tools.
You will need to be able to shape components using the appropriate hand tools and techniques to meet specifications whilst adhering to health, safety and environmental legislation, regulations, and safe working practices.
In the context of this standard, your responsibility is limited to working within clearly defined procedures and following instructions from trade/craft personnel. In some cases, you may still be expected to refer to others for final authorisations, even though you remain responsible for identifying and implementing decisions within the limits of your responsibility.
Who this standard is for:
This standard is for electrical installers and others that install electrical systems and equipment
You must be able to:
- environmental and other relevant legislation, regulations, guidelines and local rules or procedures
- ensure that the work environment, material, tools and equipment are suitably prepared for the work activities to be undertaken
- obtain the required materials and check the dimensions, quantity and quality
- follow the appropriate engineering drawing(s) and related specification(s) and quality standard(s) for the component to be produced
- shape the materials using appropriate hand tools and techniques
- identify and rectify defects where appropriate
- check that the completed component meets the required specification then follow the required handover procedures
- ensure the work area is reinstated
- **deal promptly and effectively with problems within your control and report those that have been and those that cannot be solved
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- relevant legislative, regulatory and local requirements or procedures and safe working practices including your responsibilities with regard to reporting lines and procedures
- preparation and reinstatement requirements in respect of the work area, tools, material, and equipment and the possible consequences of incorrect actions in these areas
- relevant engineering drawings, related specifications and quality standards
how to check compliance with specification for:
- material to be shaped
- completed components
methods and techniques of shaping by material removal using hand tools:
- which tools to use and when
- how to sequence the stages of work
- how to modify the way of working to meet particular needs
the types of defects that may be found and what to do if any are found
- the correct use of relevant tools and equipment and your individual responsibility for the use, care and security of those you use
|A **Work environment** could include: * engineering construction sites * controlled operations * offshore installations * maintenance sites * nuclear sites * repair sites A **Work environment** may be in open or restricted spaces: * at height * confined spaces * control rooms * controlled operational and offshore installations * designated work areas * potentially explosive atmospheres * existing plants and structures * fabrication workshops * in plant rooms * inside structures, systems and plant * on access structures * on open structures * onshore and offshore installations * shafts * shipyards * tunnels **Work area is reinstated** could include: * returning the work area to a safe condition * removing barriers * sweeping up * correctly and ethically disposing of waste materials * storing re-usable materials, consumables and equipment in accordance with appropriate procedures * completing all necessary documentation Materials: In the context of this function, materials, includes the widely available types such as low carbon steels (LCS), aluminium, copper and stainless steels in forms such as sheet, hot and cold rolled sections and coated steels to protect from surface corrosion Component: In the context of this function, components, refers to the brackets, connectors, structure work and fixtures used within electrical engineering to support and install cable systems and equipment.