Enable individuals to set appropriate goals and career development objectives
This standard is for career development practitioners.
This standard is about working with individuals to set appropriate goals, objectives and action plans based on knowledge, skills, career, learning and support needs.
Development objectives could be related to self-awareness, aspiration raising, opportunity awareness, motivation, confidence-building, empowerment, entrepreneurship, networking, transition and change management, decision- making and avoidance, action-planning, option-evaluation and identifying and accessing opportunities.
This could take place on a one to one basis or in groups, face to face or remotely/virtually.
You must be able to:
- discuss and agree with individuals their needs and aspirations
- support individuals to set appropriate and achievable goals and career development objectives to meet their needs and aspirations
- communicate in ways that engage individuals and keep them motivated
- give individuals enough opportunity to communicate, reflect and reach their own decisions
- use interventions and learning and development approaches that help individuals develop their career management skills and employability skills.
- support individuals to reflect on and improve their decision-making skills
- enable individuals to identify and select courses of action that will help them progress to meet their goals and career development objectives
- motivate individuals to overcome barriers to progress and achievement
- help individuals to record goals, career development objectives and action plans in appropriate formats
- record outcomes in line with organisational requirements
- enable individuals to review progress and revise plans
- act in ways that adhere to the ethical practice required within your organisation or profession
- challenge any prejudice, use of stereotypes, discrimination and unethical or oppressive behaviour
- encourage individual autonomy in the career development process
- promote inclusivity, diversity and equality of opportunity
- maintain confidentiality and security of individual information that meets relevant legal requirements and organisational policies
- demonstrate understanding of legal requirements, local procedures and your own accountability for safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults
Knowledge and Understanding
You need to know and understand:
- legal, organisational and policy requirements relevant to your role and the activities being carried out
- relevant ethical principles and codes of professional ethical practice and the consequences of not adhering to them
- the boundaries and limits of own professional expertise
- the boundaries of confidentiality, when it is appropriate to disclose confidential information to others and the processes required
- measures to safeguard young people and vulnerable adults
- how individuals' internal and external influences can affect their development of career management skills
techniques, theories and models to explore individuals' short-term and long- term needs and options
the range of opportunities that career development objectives may cover
- the range of career development activities available to individuals
- how to develop specific, measurable, achievable, appropriate and time-bound objectives and plans
- the strengths and weaknesses of different interventions, techniques and approaches for supporting individuals to develop effective career management skills
- how to keep up-to-date with developments in technology, interventions, techniques and approaches and how to use them with individuals
- the barriers to development and employment, how to recognise them and strategies to overcome them
- how to balance individuals' needs with the constraints and limitations of the provision
- how to use and record results of chosen interventions, techniques and approaches
- how to review goals and career development objectives
- how to encourage individuals' ownership of the career development process
Hardware (devices/kit) and online methods/tools/apps which can be used in the delivery and assessment of learning programmes.
The career development activities offered by a team, service, organisation or sector.